Monday, 28 September 2015

Book Review: Ready Player One - DNF

Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Series: No
Genre: Science Fiction
My Rating: 1 star - Did Not Finish
Buy: Book Depository
In 2044, the OASIS is a video game played by all - a virtual reality allowing people to escape the horrors of actual reality. For Wade, it's his only escape. When the creator of the game dies, Wade dedicates his life to following his clues in order to find the hidden Easter egg that will give him access to his fortune. But he isn't the only one after the fortune, and some will stop at nothing to reach it.

I made a vow to no longer force myself to read books I am not enjoying, and unfortunately Ready Player One fell into this category rather quickly.



The first thing I picked up on was that Cline did a lot of telling with almost no showing. I could tolerate it for a couple of chapters, but after some time, reading became tedious. Although it had a fun concept that had several initial similarities with Spy Kids 3, it felt as though I was reading a fact book on the OASIS rather than actually reading a story. I am certain that once the plot kicked off it would be a far more enjoyable read, but this style was too off putting for me to even get that far.

There were many references to 80s movies, games and television, a large portion of which went over my head. Once more, I could have tolerated this had it not been for the way in which they were referenced. The references were listed rather than hinted, and although this may have proved popular with those invested in 80s culture, it was not for me.

On the whole I found the writing craft limited and the protagonist flat. I am not a gamer myself (my knowledge is limited to Super Mario, in particular, Mario Kart), and I know that Ready Player One was highly popular with people who do have a love for gaming. But I personally did not find that it could relate to someone outside of that realm such as myself, hence I could only justify giving it one star.

You can find this review on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment