Friday, 11 September 2015

Recommendation: 'The Raven Cycle' by Maggie Stiefvater


















Stiefvater is a popular YA author, but 'The Raven Boys' was the first book of hers that I picked up and truely enjoyed. Sort of.



When I first picked up 'The Raven Boys', I hated it. I could not get into the writing style at all, but a few months down the line I decided to pick it up again and I adored it.

The series is based around Welsh Mythology and is about five teenagers searching for the lost king, Glendower. Each character stands apart in their own way, and are some of the most interesting and complex characters I've read from this genre.
I quickly became attached to each of the characters and their story, and my love for them only grew in the sequel 'The Dream Thieves', which I found even better than the first.



Although the blurb may suggest otherwise, this story is one of friendship - a type of relationship that is often sidelined in both fiction and the media.

If you haven't read this series you are missing out on a truly magical adventure; I would recommend it a thousand times over.

I also wrote a book review for 'The Raven Boys', which you can find here.

2 comments:

  1. I hear so many people talking about these books lately...I just got Raven Boys from the library, so here's hoping I like this as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete