Thursday 7 September 2017

May-August 2017 Book Haul

I'm back today with another 2017 book haul! I decided to share a book haul post every 4 months this year rather than have them at the bottom of my wrap up post every month. I try really hard not to buy too many books, and I find that this is a much more effective way to track my bookish spendings. You can find part 1 of my 2017 haul here.





The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (kindle, unread) - £0.99
My friend could not recommend this enough to me, and I managed to find it for very little on the kindle store which was wonderful. I'm hoping I love it as much as she did, although if that's the case I may end up buying a physical copy because of how pretty it is.

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo (amazon, read) - £3.85
It's been about a year since the release of Crooked Kingdom, meaning the small paperback was finally released. The book was probably one of my favourites of last year, but I wanted my own copy that matched the size of my Six of Crows edition.

Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab (amazon, read) - £13.01
I honestly could've gotten the UK paperback of Our Dark Duet for much cheaper. I could've even borrowed it from a friend, because as much as I love Schwab's books I didn't connect much to This Savage Song. But I'm a disaster and these editions were too pretty.


A View from the Bridge by Arthur Miller (charity shop, unread) - £1.00
I low-key wanted to read this play after seeing it performed a few years ago. I adore Miller's play All My Sons and was lucky enough to study it twice, and I have wanted to read (and see) more of his work. I'm looking forward to reminding myself of the production I saw.

The Land of Stories: Worlds Collide by Chris Colfer (amazon, unread) - £12.99
I've been reading this series since the beginning, despite being far from the target audience. I've yet to read this final installment and I'm simultaneously excited and anxious to see how it all ends and if all the characters get the happily-ever-afters they deserve.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (amazon, read) - £3.85
I recieved an eARC of this legendary book for review, and thought it was so fantastic that I bought a copy for my family to read. The Hate U Give deserves it's place on the NYT Bestseller list 160% and I honestly think it should be made required reading everywhere.


And I Darken by Kiersten White (YALC, read) - £5.00
Another eARC that I did not have the physical copy of until now. I expected this book to be incredibly out of my confort zone, but I was addicted when I read it last summer. I knew if there was any book I would be buying from YALC, it was going to be this.

Now I Rise by Kiersten White (YALC, unread) - £5.00
I have no reason to have not read Now I Rise yet other than laziness. It is one of my highest anticipated sequels of the year, and I know it's going to live up to the first book and go beyond. I'm also glad this was at YALC so I was able to get the 2 for £10 offer.

Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody (YALC, read) - £1.00
Last minute YALC purchase when everything was closing up. The price had been reduced so I grabbed it with no knowledge of what it was about. But having just finished it, I can say I really enjoyed it! You can expect my review in the coming days.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown (kindle, unread) - £0.99
This was a book I planned to read for #TheReadingQuest... and didn't. I still want to read it, if only to understand what the hype is about. I can't help but feel it sounds incredibly similar to other books I have come across, so I'm hoping to find something different in it.


In January-April I purchased 15 books, coming to a total of £56.50. In May-August I bought only 10, but that still came up pretty high at £47.68. I think the cost of the two hardcovers are to blame here, but I'd still hoped to have spent less considering I didn't need to purchase any books for my classes this time. All together, that comes to the first 8 months of the year totalling at £104.18.

The amount I've spent on books this year doesn't particularly shock me, but I would like to buy less for the rest of 2017. I'm buying books faster than I can read them, but I think the rest of the year will look a little different now that I've overcome my library anxiety. Discovering Overdrive was also a blessing, and I plan on using the app Libby to access my library's ebooks. I've even made a seperate Library TBR shelf on my Goodreads to  ensure I borrow those books rather than buy them.


Have you read any of these books? What were your thoughts? How many books have you bought so far this year? What are your favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment