Tuesday 14 August 2018

Apps and Websites to Help You Live Your Best Bookish Lifestyle

In the era of technology, there are now so many ways to love a good book. Online spaces have become a huge influence on my reading lifestyle. This blog alone has encouraged me to read more widely, discovering new authors as well as new friends through this one shared passion. However, blogging is not the only way to find more books and connect with other readers. Over the past few years, the internet has provided us with a wealth of websites and apps that have made the lives of readers better. Not only does the internet help us to meet new readers with shared interests, but it has also given us new ways to enjoy the literature that we love.



Overdrive has by far been one of the best discoveries I've made since starting this blog. This website gives you access to all of your local library's ebooks and audiobooks. All you need to use it is a library card and you're good to go!

I'm amazed that libraries don't promote this resource more. Before discovering Overdrive, I had assumed my library simply had its own shabby web resource for ebooks and audiobooks that you accessed through their website. But Overdrive is its own website where you can find a whole new collection of books that you never knew your library had access to. It allows you to borrow and reserve books, as well as make requests for books that your library's Overdrive may not have access to just yet.

Overdrive also comes with an app called Libby which allows you to do all of the above from your phone. I love Libby because it lets me read and listen to books on the go, which is particularly useful when having to take the train every day during term time. As an English Literature student, I can't adore every book I am assigned, but listening to some of my required reading as I travel has made some potentially tedious classics seriously enjoyable. I have also taken to listening to audiobooks whilst drawing, because I get to create and consume at the same time, which makes me feel doubly productive.



This may be the most well-known book-nerd resource, but it still warrants highlighting because of how much of an impact it has had on readers. Goodreads is an online database where readers can review and share their love for their favourite books. With it you are able to list and give star ratings to all the books you have read, as well as add books to a 'Want to Read' list so you will always have an idea of what you can read next. The website also gives you recommendations based on the books you have read, and allows you to follow other reviewers with shared interests so that you can discover even more books to obsess over. You can also set yourself yearly reading challenges to track how many books you read in a year. I found this a huge motivator when I started using Goodreads, and I now read a minimum of 50 books per year, which several years ago I would have thought impossible.

Goodreads recently revamped its app to have a much sleeker and more easy-to-use interface. It gives you access to pretty much everything that is provided by the website. With the new updates, the Goodreads app now also allows you to scan books by their cover, taking you directly to the book's page where you can find the author, number of pages, publisher, year of publication, reviews, and are able to add it to your 'Want to Read' list so you can save it for later.



Amazon's website and app Audible is the place to go if you want to purchase audiobooks. Audiobooks in the traditional sense have always been ridiculously expensive, but with Audible you are able to have a membership plan that lets you purchase audiobooks for super cheap. A 1 book monthly membership costs £7.99 per month. With that membership, you receive a credit every month, which you are then able to spend on any audiobook you wish.

Audible is super friendly to use for new users. Not only is your first audiobook free, but if you are unhappy with one of your purchases, they are very accommodating in making an exchange for another credit/audiobook. This year, Audible has also started emailing daily deals on audiobooks for cheaper than the typical price. These audiobooks are often £3 or less, and although not all of them may appeal to you, you are guaranteed to find the occasional gem. Plus it's very easy to cancel and start up your membership any time you want so you can fit your reading around your own lifestyle.



This may seem like an obvious one, but I discovered recently that one of my uni friends had no idea there was a free Kindle app. I feel like more people need to know this is something that is available to them! Amazon's Kindle app functions pretty much just as their e-reader does, just on your phone. Amazon has so many excellent ebook deals, often for cheaper than physical books, so this app is ideal for all readers.

What many people also don't seem to know is that thousands of classic novels are free in the Kindle store. I've read everything from George Elliot to H.G. Wells on my Kindle, and all without spending a penny. As a uni student, this is incredible, because it means I don't have to spend tons of money on my required reading list every semester. Plus it has given me a new love and respect for classics.



So many people are sleeping on this website! Book Bub is incredible. All you have to do is sign up on their website with your email address, list a few genres and authors that interest you, and bam! Daily emails on the latest ebook deals.

This website is both the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me. Best because it lets me know when the books I want are really cheap, but worst because it means I spend money on ebooks irrationally because 'It's only 99p!' I like to think that I would have purchased those books eventually anyway though, so hopefully this website has been helping me save money more than it has been helping me spend it.



This website is mainly for the UK bookworms (sorry everyone else!). I have discovered that many of the book signings and literary events that happen in the UK are run by Waterstones. All you have to do is go onto their website and click on their events page, then scroll through events by date, location, or author. I've attended so many incredible events run by Waterstones, and met authors including Angie Thomas, Rainbow Rowell, Leigh Bardugo and Katherine Webber.

These events are such a blast, even if you don't talk to anyone. The first few ones I attended I kept mostly to myself, but in an environment surrounded by fans of the same books you are, it's difficult not to make a couple of friends. Plus you get to meet your favourite authors and have your books signed by them, so it's impossible not to find some joy in going.


What are some of your favourite bookish apps and websites?

This post was inspired by the prompt 'Favourite Bookish Websites' on Top 10 Tuesday, hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

5 comments:

  1. It's fun promoting the book blogs and other bookish sites in this week's TTT post, isn't it??

    Here's a link to my TTT post this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/08/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need Goodreads to live. I can't hold my whole TBR list in my head.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply! But same here. Ever since I started using Goodreads it feels like it's consumed my whole life!

      Delete
  3. Overdrive/ Libby is one of my favorite resources for audiobooks! Great list!

    Check out my TTT and celebrate my blogoversary with a giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply! Same here. I've been listening to audio so much more since I downloaded Libby and it's really helped towards my Goodreads challenge and to help me get through my uni books!

      Delete