Saturday 10 November 2018

Books I'm Voting for in the Goodreads Choice Awards 2018

It's rare for me to have read many books that get nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards. In previous years I've felt a bit behind when it came to new releases, but somehow in 2018 I read a whole load of them, and from more than just the YA Fantasy and Science Ficiton category! Even more surprising is that many of the nominees are actually some of my favourite books of this year - so I guess the hype doesn't always lie! Here are the 6 books I've voted for in the semifinal round ✨


Edit: the books marked with a * are the ones that didn't make it into the final


Best of the Best
The Hate U Give had to be the book that got my vote in the Best of the Best catgegory. I loved all of the books I've read from this category, but of the four, this shined the brightest. It is more than just a book - it is an immensely powerful force of nature, and it deserves every vote it gets.
Have also read: The Fault in Our Stars | Queen of Shadows* | Catching Fire
Want to read: The Help* | Red Rising* | Eleanor & Park* | All the Light We Cannot See

Best Graphic Novels & Comics
I really enjoyed the 4th installment in the Paper Girls saga. This series is bizzare and has constantly been surprising me from the start. It's one of the few comics I read besides Ms. Marvel, so it was a close call between the two, but I think I liked Paper Girls a fraction more this time.
Have also read: Ms. Marvel Vol. 8
Want to read: The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins

Best Debut Author
Before I even saw the nominees, I knew Tomi Adeyemi had to be on here. Children of Blood and Bone was magnificent and rich fantasy novel and possibly my favourite book of this year, so there was no question that it would be getting my vote.
Have also read: To Kill a Kingdom
Want to read: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing* | The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle* | The Astonishing Color of After

Best Young Adult Fiction*
I was thrilled to see A Very Large Expanse of Sea make it into the semi-final rounds, espeically because it wasn't originally in the opening round. This catergory was a super tough call for me, because the nominees were some of my favourite books of this year, but I had to go with AVELOS purely based on how powerful an impact it had on me, and the impact I'm sure it is going to have on others.
Have also read: Love, Hate & Other Filters* | I Was Born For This* | The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy | What If It's Us | Leah on the Offbeat
Want to read: Let's Talk About Love*

Unfortunately the lovely AVELOS did not make it into the final round of the competition. My next vote would have been for I Was Born For This, but sadly it didn't get past the semifinals either. I have so much love for The Lady's Guide, Leah on the Offbeat and What If Its Us, and I think when it comes down to it the latter will be the one to win. But for this final, I've decided to give my vote to Leah. All of these are incredibly important queer books that so many people deserve to see themselves in, but lately I've realised so little love goes to books about queer girls. The topic is a post for another day, but it is one that has been on my mind a lot lately. In my heart, this vote for Leah is also a vote for Felicity, and I hope that even if neither of them win, they will continue to receive the recognition they so deserve. 


Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction
I did consider voting for a book other than Children of Blood and Bone given that I'd already voted for it in the Best Debut category, but when I really thought about it, I knew it was the best book on there for me. If I recall correctly, Sarah J. Maas' books often win this category, and as much as I've enjoyed the books of hers that I've read, I really want to see a win for Tomi. 
Have also read: The Hazel Wood* | Restore Me
Want to read: The Cruel Prince

Best Middle Grade & Children's
The fact that I've only read one Middle Grade book this year feels like such a shame, but I'm glad the one I did read was City of Ghosts. Schwab really held onto her style for this one, and I think her ability to adapt to different audiences really shows how excellent a writer she is. Plus I thouroughly enjoyed the story itself, so of course I was going to vote for it.

Who has your vote in this year's Goodreads Choice Awards? Do we share any favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment