Sunday 13 January 2019

Blog Plans for 2019

At the time I am writing this post, I am feeling super motivated to tackle 2019 and everything that comes with it. I always struggle through the winter season (I think my body was designed to hibernate), but when January comes about all the 'fresh start' talk manages to get through to me and I am buzzing to do things.

It's set to be a pretty transitional year for me, with my dissertation being due in March. I don't think I've shared this on here yet, but I'm actually doing a creative writing dissertation in which I plan to write 9,000 words of a novel along with a 3,000 word critical commentary. I don't want to say too much before I've fully started, but I will say that it's a YA fantasy novel featuring astronomy magic and family feuds, and has been sitting in my brain since I was 15. I'm 21 now, and I feel like it finally needs to get out of my brain and onto paper. It sounds daunting, but I've done creative assessments like this before and although anxiety-inducing, I'm always really proud of what comes out of them. The only difference is that this one is MUCH longer and counts for quite a lot (yikes), but I know I can do well.

My last day of university will be in May, and my final few essays will be due some time in mid-June. I'm not actually sure what my life will be like after that. I still feel like a teenager, until my friends who are still actually teenagers remind me that I am now an adult™.

I have ideas about what I want to do after university, but right now my brain can't think beyond my dissertation deadline in March. I really want to do my best in my final year, and I know that I can if I put my mind to it. However, as part of that dedication to my studies, I've decided to let Rose Quartz Reads take a backseat in my life for a while.

This blog break has been coming for a long time. Last year I only wrote one discussion post, and I have been completely neglecting responding to comments and visiting other people's blogs. I spent the last three days finally catching up on it all and realised I'd been missing out on engaging with super interesting discussions because I was focused on writing posts which could have been so much better had I been inspired by what else was going on in the book and blogging world.

I still have a never-ending list of post plans, so I'll definitely be back. There's also a discussion post I really want to write for February about how romance heavy our literature is, and how society treats romance as central to the human story. I have a lot of thoughts on the topic, and it felt like near Valentines day would be as good a time as any, if I can find the time to write it, although it might get delayed if the month proves too hectic (side note: if you have any thoughts to share please do in the comments, because I love hearing people's perspectives on how romance-focused our stories are).

As a result, I won't be entirely gone. You'll maybe get one post a month from me for the first half of the year, if that. It all really depends on if I can justify spending the time on writing something that isn't my dissertation or an essay that month.

I'm afraid that's it from me, for now. So for now, tell me: what are your aspirations for 2019? Is there something big or small you want to accomplish? It can be work or school related, bookish or more personal. Whatever it is, know that I am cheering you on.

Wishing you all the best 💖

Helia

8 comments:

  1. Best of luck on your dissertation! I hope you have a lovely year ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! I hope you have an excellent year as well <3

      Delete
  2. Aw good luck with your dissertation! That is a LOT, I am impressed that you're even attempting to blog! Though I am quite eager to read you post about romance, too, so I hope you have time to fit it in! I can't decide if our society is so obsessed with romance because it's important, or if it's important because society is obsessed with it! It's such a fascinating topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, Shannon! Turns out I didn't blog at all in those few months, but I'm still planning to write that romance post at some point. I find it so interesting that fiction depicts romantic love as central to the human story, and I'm always really interested by books that break that convention.
      Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with her dissertation, Helia! I did an Honours year in my second year of blogging and it did take up a lot of time. Looking back I probably should have focussed more on my thesis but I really left it until the last minute, haha. So I'm proud of you for prioritising, but I will miss you! I know I don't visit as often as I should, I have been a bit burnt out in terms of blogging for a while now. I guess one thing I'd like to do in 2019 is really evaluate my blog. What I want to do with it, whether it still makes me happy, whether it's maybe time to move on. But all that scares me, haha. I look forward to your Valentines post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chiara! I've tried keeping up with blogging during stressful assessment times before and I realised it didn't really work so I'm glad I prioritised too. Blogging burn out sucks, but I'm proud of you for being able to step back and consider if it's still something you want to do. I hope you come to a decision that makes you happiest :)

      Delete
  4. I wish you the best of luck with your dissertation, Helia! It must be a daunting task, but you've got this! Blogging will always be here, and it's always nice to take breaks. I was burnt out for a long time and reading itself started feeling like a chore. The break I took helped immensely and took so much pressure off my shoulders of what "proper" blogging should or shouldn't be. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really glad I took the break and it's let me think a little about how I want to continue this blog. I'm glad it helped you too!

      Delete