Tuesday 24 September 2019

Wonderful Books I Want to Read this Autumn

Hello lovely readers! I hope you're having a pleasant season wherever you are in the world. Here in the UK, it's Autumn - which means I can finally drink hot chocolate in peace without judgement 😇. Plus cosy jumpers and toasty colour schemes! What's not to love? *Answer: the cold. The cold is my enemy. Also the sun. England needs to make up its mind (on several things, it seems).

It's been a little while since I've done a Top Ten Tuesday post, so I thought I'd return to list-making (a much-loved pastime) with my Autumn TBR ✨. I am hoping to read the first 5 books in October, and the next 5 in November.

This post was inspired by the Top Ten Tuesday prompt: Books On My Fall 2019 TBR. Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.



1. Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor - I know from Daughter of Smoke and Bone that Taylor's writing is pure magic, and the premise of Strange the Dreamer intrigued me from the beginning. 

2. Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor - I am a silly child, so of course, I bought the sequel to a book I haven't even read yet - because I thought it was pretty. I prefer reading series' all in one go though, so once I finish Strange the Dreamer I can jump right into Muse of Nightmares.

3. Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab - I really enjoyed City of Ghosts, so I'm eager to pick up the sequel. Plus I love to read the occasional middle-grade book because I can devour them very quickly whilst feeling nostalgic about a magical childhood that I never experienced.

4. The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman - It's been so long since a book has grabbed me by the premise alone. I've been trying to power through my physical TBR and avoid adding any new books onto the pile but after 5 months I finally caved and bought this book. It sounds paranormal and moody and exactly the kind of thing I want to be reading in October.

5. Wilder Girls by Rory Power - Someone on Goodreads described this as feminist horror and that was enough for me to grab the hardcover in Foyles the second I spotted it. I don't like dark books that are dark simply to get a reaction, but if a book is dark AND SAYS SOMETHING with that darkness, I'll eat it up (albeit nervously). 



6. Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson - This is a Netgalley request that I failed to read before the release date, but I'm still interested in reading it. I need more fantasy standalone novels in my life.

7. Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge - This was a gift from my friend which she gave me quite a while ago (oops), but I'm still excited to read it. I've heard excellent things about Hardinge's work.

8. A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge - For someone who hasn't read a single Frances Hardinge book, I sure do own a lot of them! The title is adequately creepy, so I'm bracing myself for this one.

9. All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater - This one doesn't need much explanation. It's Maggie Stiefvater! I can't believe it's taken me this long to get my hands on All the Crooked Saints. I'm trying not to go in with high expectations because I don't want to ruin it for myself.

10. Uprooted by Naomi Novik - Ah yes, Uprooted. If you've been around my blog for a while, you'd know that Uprooted has featured on many a TBR list, and yet it still remains unread. Will I actually read it this time? We can only hope.


Have you read any of the books on my TBR list? What do you plan to read in the upcoming months? Do you normally stick to your reading plans or pick up whatever you're in the mood for?

13 comments:

  1. Wilder girls is on my list too, after all the hype I can't not read it!

    Lotte | www.lottelauv.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I'm really hoping it lives up to everything I've heard about it!

      Delete
  2. I need to read Wilder Girls still, too.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen so many people talking about it lately! I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  3. I have Strange the Dreamer and Sorcery of Thorns on my shelves and need to read those soon. I really liked City of Ghosts, so I hope to read Tunnel of Bones soon too.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many unread books on my shelf that if I piled them up they'd threaten to collapse on me! I hope you enjoy the books when you get around to them :)

      Delete
  4. I hope you like Sorcery of Thorns! I enjoyed that one a lot, although I'm bummed that its a standalone. The ending kind of left me thinking wishful thoughts though :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't read a lot of fantasy standalones, so I'm interested to see how it's structured differently from the other stuff I've read.

      Delete
  5. Cuckoo Song looks interesting and creepy, too. Perfect for this time of year!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! I think I planned to read it this time last year and then, typical me, I did not. But this year hopefully! Thanks :)

      Delete
  6. You've got a lot of good books on your fall TBR! I really enjoyed The Devouring Gray! I haven't read City of Bone yet, but I'm hoping to, so I can pick up the sequel too. It looks great! I sooo need to read A Sorcery of Thorns still, too. This looks like you'll have a fabulous autumn reading. Hope you enjoy. :3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read Tunnel of Bones and Muse of Nightmares and both were great (the Strange the Dreamer duology is fantastic)! I also have yet to read Uprooted, so I'm with you there. I hope you enjoy your autumn reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I need to get to Muse of Nightmares too before I forget what's happening in Strange the Dreamer! I've been saving Uprooted for the colder weather so I'll probably read it soon... it's just the weather is still really hot here! :D

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete