Tuesday 6 September 2016

My Top Favourite Action/Drama TV Shows

Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Next to books, I'm a bit of a TV fanatic. There are so many good shows out there, some of which don't get the attention they deserve, and some of my favourites are in the action and drama genres. Here are my top Action/Drama TV shows (starting with my absolute favourites).


1. Person of Interest
This show is probably the best thing I've ever seen. Imagine a world where everyone is watched and nobody knows. It's a world which could very easily be this one. A tech genius has created a machine that can survails everyone and detects acts of terror, but doesn't anticipate the number of 'irrelevant' crimes that his machine also witnesses. With the help of an ex agent and two detectives, they hunt down perpatrators and rescue victims. 
The characters in this show are excellently written and have a superhero team dynamic which I love. Plus there are so moral questions addressed about the consequences of human servailance and creating an all powerful Artifical Intelligence that are so fascinating. The first 3 seasons are on Netflix, so I'm begging you, please add this to your list.


2. In The Flesh
In The Flesh takes the zombie genre and spins it on it's head. I'm not a fan of zombie shows or movies but this is the ultimate exception.
The show is set after everyone who passed away in 2009 rises from the dead. After tormenting humans, the zombies are taken into a facility and a cure is found so they can be released back into society. Kieren Walker, a PDS (Previously Deceased Syndrome) Sufferer is taken back to live with his family, and has to deal with the impact the aftermath of his death had on his family. Meanwhile, tensions in his town are brewing about if anyone is willing to accept Kieren's kind into society.
This show is so relevant to the discrimination we see in society today of minority groups, and shows the radical views on both sides.
ITF is deeply moving, and there are only 9 episodes so there's no excuse not to watch it!


3. The 100
I haven't read the YA book series this is based on, but trust me it's not necessary. The 100 stands perfectly on it's own two feet.
After a nuclear disaster destroys the earth, people have lived peacefully in a large space station. But supplies are limited, and so anyone over 18 is executed for their crimes, no matter how small. When the ship's leaders discover they are running out of oxygen, they send 100 of their young criminals down to earth as a test to see if it's survivable.
This show starts off very teenage, but becomes so good after the first 4 episodes. It's kind of like a sci-fi Lord of The Flies - particularly in season 1 - with a bunch of teens fighting and trying to survive a world they've never seen before, and discovering that not everyone on earth died in the disaster hundreds of years ago.


4. How to Get Away With Murder
I've only seen the first season, but I would already wholeheartedly recommend HTGAWM.
A professional lawyer takes on several students to help her with her cases, each with their own dark secrets. But flash forward, and these seemingly very different people are all in the woods, surrounding a body. This show is super impressive. It jumps from the present to the future until all the puzzle pieces fit together about how these few student's relationships drastically change through the shared experience of murder, and you work out who they body is, who the murderer is, how it links to their present day case, and how they ultimately get away with it.


Other Favourites


Have you watched any of these? What were your thoughts? Any shows you'd recommend to me?

4 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE How To Get Away With Murder! I think I might have enjoyed the 2nd season more than the first - there were SO MANY exciting and unexpected twists & the characters developed tons. Hope you'll enjoy the 2nd season, too.

    Great list! :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh that's awesome to know! I've been avoiding anything and everything HTGAWM becuase I don't want spoilers but your comment means I definitely have something to look forward to with that show so thanks :D

      Delete
  2. I haven't watched all the the seasons, but Buffy is a good choice. My sisters LOVED it growning up! :D My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still making my way through Buffy too - I only just finished season 5, so 2 more to go. I wish I'd watched it sooner or been old enough to watch it back then becuase I was a baby when it started!

      Delete