Thursday 16 March 2017

5 E-ARCs I Need to Read

I've been marvellously on top of my Netgalley and Edelweiss requests this year. Instead of focusing on catching up with older requests, I've been reading my newer requests the month they are released so they don't pile up. That way I can publish my reviews in good time in the hype build up around the release dates. However, that does leave a couple of ARCs that I need to reserve for further down the line, not to mention a few e-copies I requested many moons ago back when I was a mess and when the releases had come and gone. That leaves a total of 5 books that I really ought to be reading this year, and I'm hoping with this post I can get some encouragement on which books to read next!



All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Release Date: 6th May 2014
Yeahh. I'm a little bit more than a little late with this one. But to be fair I downloaded it in August 2015 so it's not as dreadfully long as it seems. Still I know it's pretty bad, but it was in my early days of Netgalley where I requested 100,000 books without hesitation. I'd actually heard amazing things about this book already and it won the Pulitzer Prize so it must be pretty magnificent. Plus the cover is so beautiful. I did start to read it last year but being overwhelmed by exams I forgot about it. I'm not a big reader of historical fiction but what I read of this was pretty good. Hopefully I'll actually bring myself to finish it next time.


Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente
Release Date: 3rd March 2016
This book was actually published first in 2015, but this edition went up on Netgalley a year later, so I'm really only a year late for this one. It had next to no hype in my bookish circles (which is possibly why I neglected picking it up) but I've never read a space opera before so I'm interested to see how it goes. I do really enjoy Science Fiction when it's done well, but I'm always hesitant about things set in space. Hopefully it will exceed my expectations but I'm scared to set my expectations too high.


Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg
Release Date: 28th June 2016
Another old and neglected Netgalley book that I've heard extremely little about. The reason I requested it was because I'd heard of the author before, and because it is all about magic and cakes, which is pretty much my aesthetic in a nutshell. It's about a baker who can infuse her treats with emotions that are passed on to those who eat them. I don't know what purpose those powers could have, but I wouldn't complain if I had them. I hope this story is as sweet as it sounds.


The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertali
Release Date: 11th April 2017
Finally onto the books that have yet to be published, aka the books that I 100% will read in time for their releases. I don't really know much about this book other than the fact it is a contemporary written by the same person who brought us the wonderful Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda which is a book I absolutely loved. Plus I hear this book is incredibly diverse which means I have high hopes for accurate and positive representation from a range of minority characters.


Noteworthy by Riley Redgate
Release Date: 2nd May 2017
Another upcoming release I'm looking forward to. Regate's Seven Ways We Lie might be my all-time favourite contemporary, which is miraculous given that it was also her debut novel. So clearly I can't help but have high expectations for Noteworthy. It's about a girl who dresses in drag to join an all boys a cappella choir so her voice can finally be appreciated. It sounds pretty fun and I've heard it's super diverse so this is definitely a book I'm looking forward to.




Have you read/do you plan to read any of these? What ARCs do you desperately need to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment