Tuesday 14 November 2017

Books I Think All Young People Should Read

I believe it's really important for young people to read, but unfortunately for my siblings, that means I pressure them to read every book I have ever read and loved. The result of this is rarely successful, and I've been trying to back off and let them read what appeals to them rather than giving them a yearly tour of my bookshelf for updates. Having said this, there are a small selection of books that I genuinely believe that all young people ought to read.




To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
My siblings might be a little young for To Kill a Mockingbird (in terms of being able to appreciate the writing and style rather than being able to understand the themes). But I do hope they get to read it at some point. This is one of my favourite books, and I love that it is continuing to be taught in schools, because it is eternally powerful.

Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Wonder is actually a book my siblings have read, and it didn't even require a lot of convincing on my part. I think young people can access Wonder really easily because of the language and how it so strongly reflects the language of kids. Plus the book is very sweet and deals with the importance of being kind in a very beautiful and heartwarming way.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Of course the YA of the century would make it's way onto this list. It is the most modern on this list and so the most immediately relatable to young people. The issues the characters face are issues that kids and teens are seeing in the real world right now, and I think it's so important for young people to be able see the world in what they read.


What books would you recommend for all young people to have read? Are there any books you've read recently that you wished you had when you were younger?

This post was inspired by the prompt 'Top Ten Books I Want My Future Children to Read' on Top 10 Tuesday, which is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't read The Hate U Give, must be the last person to!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/top-ten-tuesday-133/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise it will absolutely be worth the wait for you. I hope you love it when you do get to read it!

      Delete