Tuesday 28 November 2017

Books On My Winter TBR

My Autumn reading has been a struggle. There have been so many wonderful books that I have wanted to read, but if you've seen from my required reading mini review posts, I haven't had much of a chance. It is difficult when work and studies overlap with hobbies. My leisure time now feels like it could be more productive by choosing to read books for class over books I want to read. But I am working with it, and hopefully I can sneak in a few of these books that I've been really excited for this Winter before I have to get started on my reading for next semester.


1. The Diviners by Libba Bray
This series has been on my TBR for a couple of years now. A 20s era paranormal fantasy sounds right up my street, and perfect for an indoors-y Winter read, but I never see them in bookstores or in the library. Thankfully I have now discovered that my library has Overdrive, and they have all 3 books in audiobook form, meaning I can listen to them all over Christmas.

2. Now I Rise by Kiersten White
I bought a copy of Now I Rise from YALC with the full intention of reading it this year. Of course, university had other plans, but I'm still very much looking forward to seeing Lada and Radu's journey continue.

3. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
I found a copy of Ember in a charity shop earlier this year, and I've been more enthused to read it after following Sabaa on Twitter. It's not often that my reading is influenced by an author's social media presence, but I love how Sabaa uses her platform to talk about real issues. Plus, the more I hear about this series, the more excited I get.



4. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
This book is going to be my introduction to Gaiman. My friend convinced me to buy it, but unsurprisingly, I have neglected to read it. The cover looks very eerie and Winter-y, and since I'm still in a bit of a spooky Halloween mood I'm hoping this will be a good transition read into December (assuming I even get the time to read it that soon).

5. Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Another Gaiman - this one I got for free on the kindle years ago. I don't know much about Stardust other than I think it has a movie. But it sounds like a magical fairy-tale-like thing of a book and Winter seems like the right time to read it.

6. Shadowplay by Laura Lam
I read the first book in the Micha Gray trilogy, Pantomime, over a year ago, and the second has been waiting on my kindle all this time. I really enjoyed the first book, but I suspect that the next will develop the story and the characters a lot further, and I'm curious to see where this magical, circus-like story goes.


7. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
Another book I know nothing about but still want to read. Lately I've been in the mood for more space-related things in my life, (I blame my Star Wars marathon this summer - why didn't anyone make me watch them sooner?) All I know about this book is that it's very lovely and very queer and in space, and really that's all I need to know.

8. All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
My first eARC, which I forgot to read. I did start it a few years ago and really liked what I read, but it was exam season and things got in the way (don't they always?). I have heard wonderful things about this book and I know it was very successful, so despite it being outside of what I typically read I truly am looking forward to it.

9. The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo
Another eARC! I feel the need to apologise to all the publishers I've let down over the years, but this was another one where it was published just as university started this year, and the rest you can imagine. But if I read anything on this list over Winter, it's going to be The Language of Thorns, because already I know it looks beautiful inside and out.

10. Love, Hate and Other Filters by Samira Ahmed
This might be my most anticipated read for 2018, but as I have an eARC I might read it sooner. I hope the following years in YA see a wealth of books tackling serious issues like Islamaphobia, and I'm happy to see that it looks like we are heading in that direction. The most powerful books are the ones that show us the parts of reality we need to acknowledge, and I'm looking forward to see how that is tackled in Samira Ahmed's debut.


What books are on your Winter TBR? Do you think you're going to stick to your list? Are any of my books on your lists? Have you read any of them already? What were your thoughts?

This post was inspired by the prompt 'Books On My Winter TBR' on Top 10 Tuesday, which is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

16 comments:

  1. I haven't read the rest of the series yet, but the first Diviners book was fantastic!!! I'm not a huge historical fiction reader, but that didn't matter for me at all. It had mystery and atmosphere and magical stuff and so many cool/memorable characters. I totally hope you read that one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, Michelle! I've not read much historical fiction either, but I love it when a book is written in a way that that doesn't matter or impact how much you enjoy it. Mystery, atmosphere, magical stuff, cool/memorable characters? If I wasn't sold already you've definitely convinced me. Thank you :D

      Delete
  2. I really want to pick up "The Diviners" at one point, I`ve heard fantastic things about it. But I`m not going to lie, I am a bit terrified by the size of the books.

    Carmen / Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big books intimidate me too! They feel like a bigger risk, especially when it's a series and you could be reading so many more other books in that time. I'm hoping to get to them next year, but I don't know how likely that's going to be! I hope you get to read them and enjoy them <3

      Delete
  3. Happy to see Gaiman twice here! And All the Light We Cannot See, really good one! Happy winter reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a little guilty I haven't read any Gaiman yet, but maybe next year I can change that. I really want to, especially with how well loved he is! I'm glad you liked ATLWCS too! I'll definitely get to them at some point. Thanks, Anastasia - you too!

      Delete
  4. I read Diviners just recently and loved it. I hope you love it too! Same with An Ember in the Ashes! I have also recently started having interest in The Language of Thorns, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet along with Love, Hate, and Other Filters but I haven't read been able to pick them up yet. Can't wait to see what you think of these books :)

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that, Heather! I'm sure I'll love them! I've heard really good things about all of those books, but I'm not sure if I'll have time for them this winter (I do hope I can read a couple of them, though!). Thanks, I hope you like them if you get a chance to pick them up!

      Delete
  5. I adore Neil Gaiman but I haven't read either of those you listed. I do have Stardust on my Kindle though. *sigh*

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Stardust on my kindle too! I haven't read any Gaiman but everyone speaks so highly of his work, so I need to change that! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I hope you get a chance to read all these! All The Light We Cannot See is one of my favorite books ever.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! So many books, too little time, right? I'm glad you love ATLWCS so much! I'll definitely get to it :)

      Delete
  7. I actually liked the movie "Stardust" better than the book! It's one of the few books/movies I can say that about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I haven't heard much about the book or the movie but sometimes I like the movies better than the books too. I'll definitely watch the movie after I read Stardust :D

      Delete
  8. Your TBR looks fantastic! I really need to read something by Becky Chambers because I've only heard the best things about it. Some people are really loving her books lately. As soon as I'm done with Leigh Bardugo's Ruin and Rising these coming holidays, I'm getting onto reading Language of Thorns!

    I am dying to read The Diviners too because it looks like such a dark, Gatsby-vibe book set in the 20s!!! Great post! I hope you make time for these <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know when I'm going to have time for it all :') I've heard fantastic things about Becky Chambers' books, and Leigh Bardugo is the queen of everything. The Diviners gives me exactly that vibe! I love dark stuff and fantasy and The Great Gatsby so even though I haven't read much historical fiction I'm very excited for this one!

      Delete