Tuesday 1 September 2015

Top 10 Tuesday: Characters I Just Didn't Click With


Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! Today's topic is characters that I didn't click with:


1. Adam Ewing - Cloud Atlas
Despite Cloud Atlas being one of my favourite books, I just could not remain interested in Ewing's chapters, possibly because of the writing style used within these sections.

2. Jace Wayland - The Mortal Instruments
I had very little tolerance for Jace, along with most other dark and mysterious troubled fictional characters and the way they are written (although I loved Will Herondale in The Infernal Devices, who in many ways is very similar).

3. Octavian - The Heroes of Olympus
Is anyone really surprised?

4. Lena Haloway - Delirium
Although I liked seeing her world through her eyes and how it developed and changed, I found her quite uninteresting. Her love interest, whose name escapes me, was even less interesting.

5. Heaven - Heaven
I found both the character and the book dull.

6. Sherlock Holmes - Young Sherlock Holmes: Death Cloud
I love Conan Doyle's character and this was not the Holmes I know and love.

7. Mary Russell - The Beekeeper's Apprentice
Although an interesting character, I thought she could have more depth.

8. Four - Divergent
Another male love interest that did not interest me.

9.  Tod T. Friendly - Time's Arrow
Such a short book and I could not bring myself to finish it. I was bored of Tod and bored going backwards.

10. Bob Ewell - To Kill a Mockingbird
Unlikeable in every way.

I'd love to hear what you thought of some of these characters (be nice though!)

- Helia

5 comments:

  1. Totally with you on Bob Ewell--nothing redeems that character. I had a hard time with the Divergent series but more because of Tris. I actually liked Four. I have only read the original Percy Jackson books but I want to read the others too. Fun list!

    Check out my TTT: https://greenishbookshelf.wordpress.com/top-10-tuesday-characters-i-just-didnt-click-with/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewell is awful, but I appreciate the purpose he served within the story (it just doesn't mean we have to like him!) The same goes for Octavian in the Heroes of Olympus, although I don't think he can be considered on the same scale as Ewell. I don't quite hate him but he liked to cause problems. I felt rather distant with both Four and Tris - I think what really got me through the first book was the concept.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Ah, Octavian . . . let's just say that if there was one thing that made Blood of Olympus better, it was what happened with him. And Four was awful, too. I put Tris on my list instead of him, but they're both dull and kind of personality-less.

    My TTT: http://thespellboundreader.blogspot.com/2015/09/top-ten-tuesday-ten-characters-i-didnt.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Four and Tris - I felt disconnected from both of them. Octavian liked to cause trouble for the protagonists, but without him I think there'd be less of a story.

      Delete