Friday 28 October 2016

Classic Mini Reviews: Mrs Dalloway and The Driver's Seat

Time for EVEN MORE mini reviews of classics I have recently read for class. This post will focus on the books I have read that were written in the 20th century.


Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf - 1 star
Warnings: discussion of death and suicide
Mrs Dalloway did nothing for me. I found no notable message in it, and no plot. The latter was something I anticipated - I knew this was a train of thought book about one woman's day. But I expected something to grab my attention. Something that has made Woolf such a notable writer. I felt like I missed something, but maybe a class discussion will change that. 


Warnings: death, blood, murder
I don't seem to be having much luck with my required reading, because The Driver's Seat is another classic I didn't quite get. It was a quick and easy read and I did love the original questions it rose. Who is this woman? Why does she act like this? Why does she have such awful taste in clothes? But I didn't understand how she knew things that were never said. Plus the idea Spark was trying to get across felt far too weak to actually take effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment