Friday 21 October 2016

Classics Mini Reviews: Love in Excess and Vanity Fair

Time for some more mini reviews of classics I have recently read for class.


Love in Excess by Eliza Haywood - 4 stars
Warnings: death, attempted rape
This was quite ridiculous and overly melodramatic - so much so that I found it funny, even though it was most definitely not meant to be. Somehow, in all the character's absurd declarations of love for the same character, I actually ended up enjoying this book, particularly when thinking about it in the context it was published.

Vanity Fair by W.M. Thackeray - DNF at 50%
Warnings: death, racism, mentions of domestic abuse
This book was an absolute nightmare to read.
My original investment in Amelia and Becky died as the story dragged on. The focus on them was minimal and new characters were introduced on a regular basis and I couldn't keep track.
The book was just too long. I liked the mocking concept of the Vanity Fair, but the impact of the plot's twists and turns was ultimately diminished because it was all so stretched out.

4 comments:

  1. I am loving your classics mini reviews. I haven't read a lot of classics, so they help a lot -especially by seeing which books you DNFed or didn't like because they will most likely not end up on the priority list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying them - I typically review fantasy/YA so I just assumed no one would read them!
      I haven't read many classics either but Frankenstein, Jane Eyre, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest, The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird are a few I've read in the last 2-3 years that I've really enjoyed (plus most of them are pretty short so I find them easier to get through)!

      Delete
  2. I DNF'ed Vanity Fair too! In fact you stuck out longer than I did - I think I stopped at around 20% in? >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't blame you - it was a bit after the 10% mark that I lost all interest but I powered through a little longer because I need to read it for class. Unfortunately extensive research into the plot and background will have to do!

      Delete