Friday 12 July 2019

Latest Love // My 3 Favourite Anime

Latest Love is a series of posts where I talk about a recent obsession. This could be a bookish obsession or otherwise - anything that has been making me happy recently that I feel like sharing. The important thing about this feature is that it isn't a review. This is just a way of me expressing a few reasons why I like something, and maybe find some more people to talk about it with. 😊

Today's topic is anime! Since I was in my very early teens I've always been a fan of the art style seen in Japanese animated television. I had sketchbooks filled with drawings of wide-eyed characters with exaggerated features. The genre has less of influence on my art now than it did then, but I credit the genre for really helping me develop my own style in my early days of being an aspiring artist.

Considering my teenage passion for this art style, I don't recall watching a lot of anime. The only one that I remember well is Mew Mew Power, also known as Tokyo Mew Mew, and that was only because I revisited the manga it was adapted from a couple of years ago. It didn't quite hold up to my memory of it - I never cared for the romances - but I still love the character dynamics and the concept of magical girls saving the world and the environment.

Recently, however, my friend Jenny has been slowly and sneakily persuading me to watch more anime. My love of animated storytelling is no secret, so it didn't take much convincing. In fact, it was through her that I discovered my 3 favourite anime, a couple of which have actually become my favourite shows of all time.


My Hero Academia
My Hero Academia is my most recent obsession, as it seems to be with a lot of animation fans. I was seeing fan art everywhere, and I was looking for a new show to get invested in after Voltron ended, and has definitely been filling that void.
The plot follows Midoriya, a young boy in a world where 80% of the population possesses some kind of superpower called a Quirk. He dreams of becoming a Hero like his idol, All Might, but being one of the few people without a Quirk makes his aspirations seem hopeless. However, after witnessing Midoriya selflessly save his classmate and bully, Bakugo, All Might passes his Quirk down to him, helping him train to get into the hero school of his dreams.
The story follows the rivalry between Midoriya and Bakugo, as well as the lives and aspirations of their classmates at UA high school. The characters all work tirelessly to pursue their dreams all for different reasons (to prove themselves, to support their families, to do good), as well as face the League of Villains who are determined to bring an end to the era of heroes.
It's very easy to get invested in 10+ characters in the first season alone, and the stories are action-packed and really enjoyable. After finishing the third season I was so desperate to learn what happened next that I began reading the manga. Doing so made me realise how loyal an adaptation the show is, and how well produced. The animation is vibrant and sharp and there is never a lull in the storytelling. If you aren't very familiar with anime, this is a great starting point. It turns the familiar genre of superheroes on its head, and it is both an intense and uplifting watch.



Yuri on Ice
I first watched Yuri on Ice in 2017, and my heart couldn't handle how pure it was. The series is only 12 episodes long and I've re-watched it once already, and it has become my go-to show whenever I need something to brighten my day.
The series revolves around Yuri, a Japanese professional figure skater, who has faced a number of losses in his recent competitions. His failures lead him to take a break from his career, but when a video of him perfectly mimicking a performance by his idol and Russian figure skater, Victor, goes viral, Victor travels to Yuri's home town with the intention of becoming his coach.
The story is heavily shaped by Yuri's experience with anxiety. It follows him as he challenges himself with Victor's tutelage, and rebuilds his confidence in skating once more in order to compete in the Grand Prix Final. We also learn a lot about the other skaters and their connection to the sport, particularly Yuri Plisetsky, who the characters take to calling Yurio, a 15-year-old Russian prodigy skater who forms a rivalry with the protagonist over their names and skating ability.
You can tell from the title sequence alone that this show is magical. The animation is beautifully fluid and is choreographed by a real figure skater, and the soundtrack is delightful. The representation of anxiety is portrayed excellently, and the romance that blooms between Yuri and Victor is gorgeous. Not only did this show encourage me to try out ice skating (which I now love but continue to be terrible at), it makes me feel overwhelmingly happy and motivated to chase after my own dreams.



Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood might just be the single best example of adult fantasy worldbuilding I have ever encountered (note that I say 'adult' fantasy - the show is pretty dark and I also didn't want to exclude my love Avatar: The Last Airbender which is also a true undeniable masterpiece).
A quick note before I get into talking about this show: do not get it confused with the 2003 show Fullmetal Alchemist. Both are based off the same manga, but Brotherhood is an almost perfect adaptation whereas the 2003 series deviates hugely half-way through. You don't need to acknowledge the 2003 version at all as they're basically the same story with different endings. Brotherhood is the one everyone will tell you to watch and is quite frankly a masterpiece.
FMAB tells the story of Edward and Alphonse, two orphans who attempt to bring their mother back from the dead using alchemy. Despite being gifted alchemists, this magic requires an equivalent exchange to be made, and no exchange can equate to a human soul. Their attempt to bring their mother back goes disastrously wrong. Ed loses an arm and a leg, and Al loses his body entirely. Ed ties Al's soul to a suit of armour to keep him alive, whilst Ed is fitted with metal prosthetics. Together they journey to the capital and Ed joins the Military as a State Alchemist in order to get their bodies back.
There are so many parts of this show that I could praise, the first being the magic system. The rules of alchemy. The consequences of pushing the boundaries of these rules have huge consequences and the relationship between the plot and the mechanics of this world are heavily intertwined.
Then there is the world itself. The story is set in one continent, but spans globally and addresses conflicting cultural values and differing motivations. Although the series starts in a small rural town, it is brilliant at developing the viewer's understanding of the world as the characters come of age and learn about it for themselves. The politics of this world are incredibly detailed and shape the story into the continent-crossing masterpiece that it is.
Finally, there's the theme of brotherhood. The characters are magnificent individually but the emotional core of this show is undeniably Ed and Al's love for each other. I'm a sucker for well-written sibling relationships, but theirs takes the cake. All of their actions are to protect one another so the other can have their body restored.
If it's not obvious by the mini-essay I wrote here, FMA:B is one of my favourite examples of brilliant storytelling. It hits all the emotions at the right points and is incredibly well-developed - plus it has a title sequence to die for. If I wrote something even a fraction as good as FMA:B then I would consider myself lucky. It is truly flawless.



What is your latest love? Do you have any favourite shows, animated or otherwise? Have you watched any of these anime? What were your thoughts? Which was your favourite?

2 comments:

  1. Ahh I remember Tokyo Mew Mew, it's been so long! I haven't really watch a lot of anime, but my all time favorite is Detective Conan! The story has been dragging for way too long, but it's still fun to watch it once in a while :)

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if Tokyo Mew Mew was just something I dreamed up because nobody I know seems to have heard of it. Glad to know it wasn't just a figment of my imagination! My anime watching is pretty much limited to the above 3 shows, but I'm really eager to check out more. Detective Conan sounds like a cute concept. I'll check it out - thanks!

      Delete