Friday 4 December 2015

Absolutely Everything to do with Fairytales


If I haven't established it already, I love adaptations. I love when someone takes an old story and reinvents it, so it's convenient that I also love fairytales because that adaptations are endless! Even now that I'm an adult (by law, not by nature) I still enjoy these stories about adventure and magic, as can anyone of any age. Here is my list of absolutely everything to do with fairytales:

Books

1. Grimm's Fairy Tales - This is where most fairytale adaptations originate from. I haven't actually read it yet, but it's free on the kindle store.

2. The Land of Stories Series by Chris Colfer - I talk about this series here and pretty much every other chance I've been able to. It's about twins who fall into their grandmother's book of fairytales and have to make their way out. Super sweet, light read, and beautiful covers - what's more to want?

3. The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter - We studied this in English last year and I didn't love it. However, I know the book inside out and can appreciate the feminist themes Carter brought to this collection of short stories.

4. Uprooted by Naomi Novik - I haven't read this yet, but it sounds like a splendid blend of 1,001 Nights and Beauty and the Beast, with a more magical twist.

Film, Television and Music

1. Once Upon a Time (TV) - By far one of my favourite television series. A young boy realises that all the people living in the town of Storybrooke are characters in his book of fairytales, trapped with no recollection of their pasts. He runs away to find his biological mother - the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming and the only person who can break the curse. OUAT is the perfect combination of classic fairytales and the writing is genuis. The first few seasons are definitely worth watching.

2. Disney's Descendants (Movie) - I have watched this too many times with my siblings already (more than any sane now-adult ought to). The movie follows the children of classic Disney villains and how they are given a second chance to live among the good. Of course, there's singing. But it is one of the best recent Dinsey movies and is accompanied by a book series by Melissa De La Cruz which I cannot wait to read.

3. Fairytale by Sara Bareilles - A catchy song with great lyrics about the women of fairytales and how they don't want to put up with the men anymore. 

I don't care for your fairytales
You're so worried about the maiden though you know
She's only waiting on the next best thing

Do you have any favourite fairytale adaptations? 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the Land of Stories series, and I really want to read Uprooted :)
    What a lovely idea and great suggestions :)

    Sarah | Sarah's Chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have still yet to read the most recent book in the Land of Stories series. It is currently in a pile of other books I've bought but not had the read.

      Delete