Friday 15 January 2016

Cover Palettes // The Bone Clocks


I like the phrase 'don't judge a book by its cover'... except when it comes to books. I shamelessly judge books by their covers all the time. The job of the cover designer is to make you want to pick up the book before you know anything about it, and sometimes I end up buying books even when I know next to nothing about them just because of the cover art.

Getting The Bone Clocks was one of these times. The bright colours are so striking against the black background and the artist included key details from the book across the cover, really maximising the use of space. As I read the book, I loved to spot the subtle links between the cover and the story, highlighting that even seemingly irrelevant objects play a greater role.

Have you read The Bone Clocks? Do you prefer the illustrations on the hardcover copy or the paperback?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this IS a gorgeous cover! I like the top one better, though I find it odd there are two different versions of the cover when they're so similar. I like how you made a color palette---I always kind of love those because it's so surprising sometimes to see that certain colors work so well together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favourite book cover! I like the top cover too - it's the one I own. I praise the person that designed it because it can't compare to any cover I've ever seen before.

      Delete