Friday 19 February 2016

Favourite Book Dedications // On Fear of Failure

I never paid much attention to book dedications in the past. I often found that they were three or four words thanking a couple of people which although is important to the author and to whom they are dedicating the book to, is not particularly noteworthy to me.

But sometimes part of the author shines through in their dedications. They can range from funny to very sweet, which is why I always try to make a note to not skip them.



The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer
The picture above is of one of my favourite book dedications. It reads
'To Grandma, for being my first editor and giving me the best writing advice I've ever received: "Christopher, I think you should wait until you're done with elementary school before worrying about being a failed writer."'
I love this dedication because I can completely relate. I always fear that I am a failed writer because I see so many talented young people publishing books every day. All the writing advice blogs seem to say you ought to write every day, but with school and other responsibilities it sometimes just isn't possible. It's comforting to read that other writers whom I admire also feared failure before before publishing to know that I'm not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment