Monday 1 February 2016

Music Match Monday // Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Music Match Monday is a feature hosted here at Astronomical Books where on the first Monday of every month I match the lyrics of a song to a book and explain why they go together so perfectly.

A Little Bit // Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda

Song: A Little Bit by Drew Gasparini
Book: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
My Book Review | Goodreads Review | Book Depository
I've only found lately though, that I've had this hard time finding my own way / I'm a little bit lost, a little bit found, I'm a little bit...
Yes, I did match a book about coming out with a song about coming out. But both main characters are called Simon, so my mind automatically placed them together.

The stories are actually pretty different. Book Simon is a teenager forced out of the closet, and Song Simon is leaving a voicemail for his mother. But what really linked these two together was that both the book and the song are emotional yet full of wit and pop culture references.

Both Simons have this huge awkwardness about them that makes them so loveable. If you haven't already, listen to the song and read the book because I can gaurantee you will fall in love with both like I did.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I had never heard this song before, but listening to it right now, I can see why you paired the two! I love this book, and now I have a new catchy song to love too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the song :D I'd reccomend listening to Drew Gasparini's album 'I Could Use a Drink' which has this song on it along with other songs he's written (all sung by different theatre people). Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete