Sunday 14 August 2016

Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas // awkward yet adorable genre blending book


Title: Because You'll Never Meet Me
Author: Leah Thomas
Genre: Sci-Fi Contemporary
Warnings: death
Rating: 5 stars
Goodreads
Normally when I rate a book I rate it based on a specific list in my mind of what makes a book a 'good book' to me. Obviously there's the basic 'I liked it/I didn't like it', but explaining why is a lot harder (reviewing is not easy, kids!). But I guess Because You'll Never Meet Me is just going to be one of those impossible books to review.

It's flawed, I admit. It's far from the perfect book. The blend of Sci-Fi and contemporary is a little awkward and it's hard to get into. But this book grew on me like a flower grows from a flower bed. The flower bed had no say in this new piece of life lodging itself into it's chest and yet it still appreciates it's beauty. (At least I assume it does. I've never asked a flower bed about it's feelings.)

I just got really attached to the characters. Their personalities were so loud and should've been annoying but they weren't and I found myself turning the page simply to know if they were okay. Ollie and Moritz were loveable and sweet and sad and funny and everything in between.

"We are not the poop" - a quote that will make no sense to anyone who hasn't read this book but somehow made me simultaneously laugh and bring tears to my eyes.
                                                             
It wasn't even the Sci-Fi elements that kept me reading. I thought it would be, since I'm not big on contemporaries, but this won me over. As I said before, I can't explain why I loved this book, and I can't promise it's for everyone, but I loved it in all of its awkward genre blending existentialness regardless.

Diversity Note: Gay character

No comments:

Post a Comment