Friday 19 August 2016

YALC Book Haul!

Around 3 weeks ago I went to YALC with a bunch of my book nerd friends and it was honestly so much fun. I was only there for the Sunday and I couldn't stay for the evening party, but there was so much to do and see in one day and the guests were on point so there was never a dull moment. Who says all the good conventions are in the US?



By some miracle, I somehow didn't anticipate how many books there would be! (Stupid, I know. It's book con for crying out loud). So when I saw all these amazing offers on books, I couldn't restrain myself.

Running Girl by Simon Mason
This was recommended to me by Jenny. It's a murder mystery - a genre I ADORE and definitely need more of in my life.




Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas
I discovered this book through this LGBTQIA fiction list Chiara posted on her blog and so I had to grab it the second I saw it. I read it within a day and it was sweet and funny and a perfectly awkward blend of contemporary and Sci-Fi.



Whisper to Me by Nick Lake
I know next to nothing about this book other than the fact that it looks beautiful on my bookshelf. YALC has all these amazing offers, and the great thing about going with friends is that you can split on the 3 for £10 book deals. I got this with Rosabelle, who also got a copy of Because You'll Never Meet Me.


Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
I read this last year and absoulutely loved it. It was cute and funny and nerdy and I needed to get my hands on a physical copy, so Sophie and I split the £10 deal and got a copy each for £5.



Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
The blogosphere is endlessly hyping up this book, but the blurb didn't really appeal to me. I love Sci-Fi but it sounded a bit like it would get very romancy so I passed. That is, until Sophie, Jenny and I had the opportunity to get it for £3.33 each. I'm still highly sceptical of how good this book is going to be, but how could anyone pass that deal up?!


So that just about wraps up my time at YALC (minus the part where I met THE VICTORIA SCHWAB which was freaking amazing). All in all I spent £20 on books that would've cost £40 at their recommended price, so I'm very happy with the outcome of this one day. Hopefully next year I can do the whole weekend and take part in more of the fun activities.
Have you ever been to YALC? If not, what have your recent bookish purchases been? And let me know what you thought of any of these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment