Tuesday 9 October 2018

Big Books That You Can Speed Through Effortlessly

Big books can be incredibly intimidating. They demand a little more time and dedication, and it doesn't always pay off. I have read a lot of books over the past few years that I've had to spend a little while to get through - The Book Thief, Cloud Atlas, Jane Eyre, and Middlesex to name a few. And while I ended up adoring those books and found the extra dedication worth it, sometimes I just want to speed through a big book effortlessly.

The five books on today's list all have over 500 pages each, which is a heck of a lot of pages! But when I actually sat down to read them, the time flew by. I think the reason for this is that they are all YA books with strong first-person narrative voices. Although I love third-person for the way it lets you explore the world you are in, first-person is excellent at sucking you into a story. 


1. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
In the Chaos Walking trilogy, Tod's voice is very distinct. Patrick Ness uses language in a very specific way to show how his characters have adapted their behaviour in response to an all-knowing society. The simple language used by the narrator makes the story really easy to connect to, but this doesn't subtract from the meaningful messages regarding society and gender expectations within the novel.

2. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
Having a deeper underlying commentary is also what helps make Children of Blood and Bone such a believable fantasy world. Taking direct inspiration from the racial inequality seen in the world today, this book creates an immediate connection with the reader. The book also takes familiar YA fantasy tropes and twists them. We don't have a girl's life changed by a boy, but two girls whose lives change because of each other. By subverting these tropes, this book at once feels like coming home and something new altogether, which is likely why I sped through it in a matter of days. 

3. Whisper to Me by Nick Lake
As a contemporary, I think Whisper to Me is made instantly more relatable than some of the other books on this list. There isn't a need to question everything like there is in fantasy novels, and the protagonist's experiences are easier to connect to as a result. With Cassie, I can't pinpoint exactly what it was about her that I connected to. I think the openness of the email she was writing just really let me get into her head quickly, and had the knock-on effect of making the book go quickly as well.

4. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
Even though Carry On is a fantasy novel, it reads so much like a contemporary because of its character and relationship-centred storytelling. Rainbow Rowell is brilliant at developing lovable characters, and Simon and Baz's voices are incredibly sharp. Even if the plot isn't moving much in a scene, the story never stops feeling alive and thriving, making the book feel much shorter than it actually is.

5. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
The Gentleman's Guide is another book that reads a lot like a contemporary. Despite being a historical fantasy, the characters don't feel distant. Instead, they are so relatable that it feels like they could be people I know. The language is easy to connect to whilst still reflecting the context accurately, and the humour of Lee's stories make you feel like you've spent less time reading than you actually have.


What are some books you've read that were quick to get through? Do you like long books or are you put off by page numbers? How many pages was the biggest book you've ever read?

This post was inspired by the prompt 'Longest Books I've Ever Read' on Top 10 Tuesday, hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

12 comments:

  1. You're spot on about Whisper To Me: despite its length it is such a quick read, and the story is so absorbing. Can't say the same about Nick Lake's There Will Be Lies, though, which I really struggled to get through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. I had my doubts about a book that size all being told in the form of a single email, but it had me totally convinced and I sped through the pages. I haven't read any other Nick Lake books but I'm sorry that one didn't have the same effect on you.
      Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. Great list! I'm currently re-reading The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue and loving it as much as I did the first time. Definitely a longer book, but worth it! Happy reading!

    My TTT: Longest Books I've Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it as much the second time around. I've heard great things about the audiobook, so when I come to re-reading it I might check that out!

      Delete
  3. I've heard nothing but complimentary things about Children of Blood and Bone. Really need to read it myself one of these days. :)

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children of Blood and Bone was honestly the fantasy novel of my dreams. It was such a fantastic read and absolutely worth the hype. I hope you get a chance to read it :)

      Delete
  4. I have not read any of the novels on your TTT post! They look like really good reads. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to get around to reading a few of them!

    Here’s a link to my TTT post this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/10/top-ten-tuesday-longest-books-ive-ever.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up checking them out I hope you will enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. I loved Children of Blood and Bone, one of my favourite books of the year. Gentleman’s Guide is on my TBR, I can’t wait to read it.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/10/09/top-ten-tuesday-180/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here for me with Children of Blood and Bone! It might take my top spot of best book of the year, but it's a close tie with Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody which I also adored. I hope you enjoy The Gentleman's Guide when you get to it!

      Delete
  6. I definitely sped through Children of Blood and Bone and also The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue as well, even though they are quite big books. I'm going to be doing a read-a-thon in January where I will be reading The Knife of Never Letting Go, so I am looking forward to speeding through that one then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy The Knife of Never Letting Go! The Chaos Walking trilogy is one of my favourite series' of all time, and Patrick Ness is one of my favourite authors. Good luck with your read-a-thon and sorry this reply is so late!

      Delete