Tuesday 30 October 2018

Creepy Books That Aren't Too Scary

The horror genre is one I stay far away from. From a yonug age, I worked out that I have the insides of a soft marshmallow, and that scary things were not for me. But lately, I've realised I kind of like it when books get a little creepy. Not too creepy that I feel ill and can't sleep, but just the right level of unsettling to increase the stakes of a story. So, if you're like me and want some mildly creepy books that aren't too horrifying, here are 10 of my favourites.





1. Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand
I read Sawkill Girls last month, and it instantly got me into the Halloween mood. It has eerie forests and haunting villains and a dash of violence, and I couldn't put it down.

2. Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
I listened to this as an audiobook, and I was more unsettled than I was expecting. It balances on the ledge between contemporary and supernatural so you never quite know what to expect.

3. Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan
These graphic novels are really weird. Even though I'm 4 volumes in, I'm still not entirely sure what is going on, which makes the supernatural feel a lot scarier.



4. The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
This whole book feels like a big dark fairy tale. There are creepy stories coming to life at every corner, and I love the whole atmosphere of it.

5. Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero
Meddling Kids is essentially a Scooby-Doo retelling, but a heck of a lot darker. In this story, the monsters may or may not be real, and a team of mystery solvers, now all grown up, reunite to find out what really happened with their last case.

6. More Than This by Patrick Ness
This isn't conventionally creepy, but it definitely ticked off all of my existential fears. It's best to go into this one knowing nothing, because it makes the not-knowing even more frightening.



7. Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye
"Reader, I murdered him." - if that's not enough to entice you I don't know what is. Jane Steele is a Jane Eyre retelling that is a lot more bloody and has a lot more stabbing. These characters show the darker side to the era, and it's impossible not to get hooked.

8. The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
The Raven Cycle is more of a haunting fantasy than a scary one, but the final book of the series definitely dipped a little bit into horror. There were a couple of scenes that made my skin crawl, but I loved what it brought to the story.

9. Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson
This is another book where it's better to know very little before getting into it. I spent the whole book questioning what exactly was going on with the protagonist, and although not really scary, it is pretty dark and unsettling.

10. The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
This is a very strange horror-mystery that jumps around at points, but when it all slowly clicks together as the story progresses it is both brilliant and terrifying.


What are some of your favourite not-quite-horror stories?

This post was inspired by the prompt 'Halloween/Creepy Freebie' on Top 10 Tuesday, hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

14 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read the Hazel Wood for a while - that cover is just gorgeous! I'm not a big horror reader but A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge has the perfect amount of ghosts that's great for this season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more - the cover is one of the prettiest I've seen this year! I'm not big on horror either but I'm glad A Skinful of Shadows is adequately spooky! I bought a copy a few months ago but haven't found the time to read it yet, but the more good things I hear about it the more excited I am to get started.
      Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  2. What a great looking list!

    I have a copy of The Boneless Mercies and for some reason I thought it was a debut novel. Wink Poppy Midnight sounds interesting though!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I actually spotted The Boneless Mercies when I visited my local bookstore today, and I was itching to buy it. I hope you enjoy it, and happy Halloween!

      Delete
  3. I'm the same way- I like suspense and a little creepiness but not outright horror or anything TOO graphic. I like the sound of The Hazel Wood, and Paper Girls I've been curious about- I heard it was a little weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wish there was a seperate genre for 'not-quite-horror' fans! The Hazel Wood is wonderfully creepy, and Paper Girls is more than a little weird but definitely worth checking out. Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  4. I like my creepy books, but the eerie chilling ones work too. I definitely agree with The Raven King being on this list! I have been seeing Sawkill Girls everywhere lately and the cover is not only beautiful, but the synopsis intrigues me too! More Than This is on my kindle waiting for me to pick up as well. Can't wait to read it!

    My recent post: https://oliviascatastrophe.com/2018/10/my-best-friends-exorcism-book-review/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books like Sawkill Girls have definitely made me want to give the horror genre more of a chance! It's super creepy, but the dark things that happen in it aren't sensationalised. The violence is used to highlight the theme of the horror of being female in a patriarchal society and it really worked for me, unlike my previous experience with the genre which were gore-y just to get a reaction and not to actually *say* something. Basically, I highly recommend Sawkill Girls if you like creepy stuff!

      As for More Than This, it's probably just me that found it really freaky. It taps into all of my existential fears, but otherwise it is so good. I hope you enjoy it Olivia!

      Delete
  5. I want to read The Bone Clocks. Someone I went to grad school with was obsessed with that book. I need to read The Raven Cycle, too.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hear people talk much about The Bone Clocks so that's really good to hear! It's a big book but I really enjoyed it. Also I love my Raven Boys, I keep meaning to re-read the series. I hope you like the books if you get a chance to read them AJ!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to read Sawkill Girls! I have heard so many amazing things about it and it's made me even more excited to give it a chance. Great post! 💗

    Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soooo good! It's feminist and LGBT and has some awesome commentary on gender in the fantasy and horror genres about men being the rule makers and women being victims. Basically it's one of my favourite books of 2018 so I couldn't recommend it enough! Thank you Laura!

      Delete
  7. the raven cycle scares me! the atmosphere and the magic are just very well done!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRC is super dreamy and atmospheric! I'm glad I'm not the only one who found some scenes in it downright unsettling (in a good way), particularly in the last book when everything starts deteriorating.

      Delete