Tuesday 1 November 2016

Books that are Perfect for Book Club Discussions

Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
There are some books that are really good for opening up a conversation. I don't have a book club, but if I did I don't think I'd want to stick to a particular genre. I'd want to read books that have an element to them that can be discussed in a group of people. So here are 10 books I would recommend your book club to read.




1. More Than This by Patrick Ness
The thought of there being something more than this is something that made really deep and interesting discussions when it came up in my Philosophy class. Plus I want to know people's thoughts on symbolism and what different things represented, for example the antagonist's role and what he really was.

2. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
I think the three stories the monster tells Conor can have a number of interpretations, and if I had a book club I'd want to know what everyone's thoughts were.

3. Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin
Alternate history is a fascinating and very terrifying thing to think about, especially with something like the outcome of the Second World War, so this book has the potential to start up some interesting conversations.


4. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
It might be slighly obvious that I'm a big Ness fan. But this was the first book I read by him and it has very interesting political and war related themes as well as the true meaning of what it is to be a man.

5 & 6. Jane Eyre and Jane Steele
I'm grouping these two books together. I don't think you need the former to read the latter, but I do think there are interesting comparisons to make about how vastly different the protagonists are.

7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I have really vivid memories about disscussions we had about this book in my year 11 English class. I think it was a combination of the brillaintly written book and the people the class consisted of that made these discussions something I'd look forward to every week. Plus the subject matter is still very relevant today.


8. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
This is another book we discussed in my year 11 English class - and our thoughts were both very funny and very insightful. LOTF is packed with symbolism which makes it really fun to pull apart.

9. Wonder by R.J. Palacio
This book is the most accurate reflection of what it's like to be a child that I've ever read. The way the characters speak and the group mentalities made me think a lot about when I was in primary school and I want to know if others felt the same.

10. I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
I honestly believe Malala is one of the most wonderfully inspirational people alive today. If nothing else, I would make my book club read this just so more people are aware of how important her fight for women's education is.


Have you read any of these? What other books have you read that you think would make a perfect book club discussion?

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I found it a bit slow, but I thought conceptually it was really great and would be an interesting thing to discuss.

      Delete
  2. Anything by Patrick Ness really! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved almost everything he's written - they're unforgettably good and really make you think.

      Delete
  3. So much Patrick Ness love here, not that I'm at all complaining, I totally agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad so many others love his books too! They all really make you think and are super discussable so I couldn't not put his books on this list.

      Delete